Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Adventure: Down the Rabbit Hole

It has been over a month since the last time I ran a game, due to vacations, and the fact that my group has to work for a living, and our schedules don't line up very well all the time.  However, I have been writing a little module that would neatly take the group to second level, pass out the treasure parcels, and do what I really wanted to do: take my group from Forgotten Realms to Eberron.

I wrote an adventure called Down the Rabbit Hole that incorporated three combat encounters and a skill challenge.  This was my first real adventure written for 4th edition, so I took a lot of time with the monster creation (I had a gang of bandits in it).  I also had a group of 4 elites who were a gang of mercenaries that I spent most of my time handcrafting.  They were pretty fun to write, more fun to run (especially since they had some Alchemical items to use and confuse/tick off the players).  My Big Bad didn't have a chance to summon the 12 followers of his that were supposed to show up when bloodied -- he was mobbed and slaughtered with some great rolls by the party.

The best part, I think, was a new monster role that I implemented (but had heard discussed on Sly Flourish) that I called a Goon.  It is essentially a normal bad guy, but worth about a third of a standard monster.  The change is in the hit points.  It has 2hp, and any normal hit takes 1hp away, unless it is a natural 20, which kills a Goon outright.  I ran them to good effect, breaking minions up into "squads" of three that were led by a Goon.  I had 14 enemies in the room at once, and they all went at different times, but it worked out well.

The group said that they had fun, and I hope they did.  I am now going to run Khyber's Harvest and then I will have to write my own campaign after that.

I had better familiarize myself with Eberron!


No comments:

Post a Comment